Ways to Help Your Child at Home
* Sign up for Aeries and check your child's progress regularly.
*Check your child's Haskell planner.
*Show interest in his/her progress.
* Praise your child's strengths and help him/her find ways to improve in areas that need improvement.
* Ask to look at your child's Haskell binder, which is inspected Fridays during the AVID elective class.
* Review your child's AVID tutorial request forms Mondays and Wednesdays to see what kinds of questions he/she is asking in class.
* Find our who your child's friends are.
* Be enthusiastic and supportive. Your child's participation in AVID will keep him/her motivated and excited about reaching the goal of attending a four-year college or university.
* Provide a quiet place free of noise and distraction where your child can study and do his/her homework.
* Show that you care by asking your child what topic(s) he/she is studying in a particular class.
* Help your student prepare for tests by asking questions he/she has written from lecture or textbook notes.
* Teach your child to be a role model/leader in the classroom.
* Be aware of upcoming exams.
* Encourage your child to become involved in extracurricular activities that interest him/her and to keep track of his/her participation.
* Understand that the AVID teacher/coordinator, and school counselors are available; call upon them (email is best) whenever needed.